How To Deal With Hormonal Acne



I have experienced hormonal acne multiple times and sometimes I find products that work, some other times I don't. Sometimes, the products that once worked for my acne stop working, and then I have to find a new magic. 

Hormonal acne usually occurs at a certain time every month (during menstruation), or when you start taking/get off birth
control pills.
Sometimes, they just appear, and you can't even understand why. You go through the process of changing your pillow case, you hold off using makeup for a while, you use water based moisturizers with less oil, sometimes you even skip using a moisturizer altogether; yet, nothing works. I've been through it all and I must admit it's really frustrating. 

I am not an expert but I've had to go through the pains and frustrations of hormonal acne till this day. Below is a list of things I do and don't do to manage them till they eventually disappear. 
  1. I have switched to natural handmade soaps for my face and I find that they actually work well for me. They are mild and they do a good job in lifting all the makeup, dirt and oil off my face. If you have a store around you that sells homemade soaps, you should get some and try it out. I bought the soap I currently use from Organic Shoppe and it is called Coconut Oat Soap. I got this particular soap because oats are known to help buff dead cells off your skin. 
  2. Don’t pick at or pop the pimples because they could get inflamed and result to scars. Though I’m still very much guilty of this, I try to control myself as much as I can.
  3. Do NOT exfoliate or scrub your acne, you will only create wounds and make it worse 
  4. You might have to adjust your diet and reduce your oil intake. The less oil you consume, the less oil your face is likely to produce to clog up your pores.  
  5. Try not to stress about the acne because it would just result into more acne. This can be really hard though especially when the acne begins to affect your self-esteem or livelihood. So just try not to think about it; it will eventually pass.  
  6. Be patient with whatever methods you choose to get rid of your acne. It could take weeks for them to clear so don’t get frustrated within a few days when they seem to be worse than ever. 
I hope these few guidelines help; and if you are going through hormonal acne at the moment and have found a method that works for you, please share in the comment section. I'd love to learn a thing or two too!

Comments

Popular Posts