WARNING: Be Careful Of Kui Care Hair Products (Review)


I was convinced by a friend of mine and a few misleading blog posts to spend my hard earned money and try out Kui Hair Products. I have to admit that right after using relaxers, this has to be the second biggest mistake of my life in hair care history.

So I trusted my friend's words (she hadn't tried it out either but had read enough reviews to believe it was the real deal) and she ordered the whole range of  products for the both of us. When I got my package, I looked through the ingredients list and I almost couldn't believe
it.
Before I list the ingredients, below is a excerpt from their website with false promises on what they had no intention of delivering.

"...from your roots to your shoots our products will rejuvenate without stripping your hair. This helps to prevent breakage, dry strands and an itchy scalp, leaving you with a well nourished, soft and moisturised glow. 

The KUI Tea Tree & Cinnamon Collection has a complimentary blend of natural and well-refined ingredients to give a superior quality finish. As our customers are our top priority, our products are aimed to be completely affordable."


"Natural and well-refined ingredients" are exactly NOT what they put in their bottles and jar. As you read the ingredients below per product, I want you to bear in mind that ingredients are usually listed in descending order by weight. This means that the ingredient that weighs the most is listed first and the ingredient that weighs the least is listed last.

  
Shampoo

Ingredients: Aqua, Sodium Laureth Sulphate, Cocamide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Stearate, PEG-75 Lanolin, PEG-100 Stearate, Sodium Chloride, Cetyl Acetate, Stearyl Acetate, Oleyl Acetate, Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol, Apricot and Cinnamon fragrance, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Essential Oil, Color.

Facts: (Notice ingredients in red.) Sodium Laureth Sulphate is the lathering agent found in house hold cleaning detergents, and when used in shampoos would strip off all the oils your scalp produces leaving your hair really dry. It is also the second most weighted ingredient in this product; that's a lot of SLS.
The Cinnamon which is one of the top selling points of the shampoo is not real cinnamon but just a fragrance.
The Tea Tree Essential Oil which is the other top selling point of the product is the second to the least weighted ingredient which makes its wonderful abilities almost non existent.

Experience: This shampoo left my hair really dry so I panicked. I quickly threw in a generous amount of the hair conditioner to see if it would help.

Rating: 👎👎👎👎👎


Conditioner

Ingredients: Aqua, Cetyl Stearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Carboxy Methyl, Cellulose, Glycerine, Dimethicone, PEG-75 Lanolin, PEG-100 Stearate, Cetyl Acetate, Stearyl Acetate, Oleyl Acetate, Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol, Apricot and Cinnamon Fragrance, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Melaluca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Essential Oil.

Facts: Again, the Cinnamon is just a fragrance and not real cinnamon. The Tea Tree essential oil is the least weighted ingredient in this product which like I said earlier, makes the capability of this ingredient next to useless.
Phenoxyethanol is a synthetic preservative that when used in large amounts cause skin and lung irritation. Repeated long-term exposure could cause organ damage. You also want to be careful with this chemical around your mouth.

Experience: When I worked the product through my hair, I thought it was going to work because it started feeling soft. Then I rinsed it out and my hair went back to dry.

Rating: 👎👎👎👎👎

Leave-in Conditioning Mist 

Ingredients: Aqua, Aloe Vera Gel, Propylene Glycol, Chamomilla Recutita (Chamomile) Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera (Sacred Lotus) Extract, Polysorbate-20, Apricot and Cinnamon Fragrance, Melaluca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Essential Oil

Facts: The two main selling factors of the product are the least weighted ingredients.

Experience: When I sprayed the mist on my wet hair, it just sat there and didn't penetrate or moisturize. My hair still felt so hard and gritty even with all the water in it from the washing. I eventually tried using the mist again when my hair was dry and I got the same experience.

Rating: 👍👎👎👎👎 1 thumbs up for not having any deadly chemical in its ingredient list (arguable)


Moisturizing Hair Cream

IngredientsAqua, Shea butter, Propylene Glycol, Paraffinum Liquidum, Cetyl Stearyl Alcohol, PEG-75 Lanolin, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Apricot and Cinnamon Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben,
Melaluca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Essential Oil, Color.

Facts: Wow, so many red flags here. Parabens can be found in cosmetic products and is said to be linked to skin cancer in long term use.
Paraffinum Liquidum or mineral oil is a cheap lubricant that could slow down hair growth by blocking the pores on the scalp.
See above for details on the other flagged ingredients.

Experience: Just like the leave-in conditioning mist, this product didn't penetrate into my hair shaft but just sat on my hair and left a lot of white residue. It also caused my scalp to flake badly in less than a week.

Rating: 👎👎👎👎👎


Overall, I would never recommend this product to anyone. After using this brand's product line, my hair was dry and brittle, and broke at the slightest tug. I'm not sure why these products have a lot of good reviews; maybe they just have really good PR strategy. Also, the "organic" looking design of the KUI logo is quite misleading.

I believe that this product line is fraud and should do us all a favor by removing the tag "FOR NATURAL HAIR" from the bottles.

The price of the product bundle varies from N4,500 to N5,500 depending on the distributor selling. This just shows that sometimes, cheap is not the way to go. Don't be afraid to invest in your hair and skin and make sure you always check the ingredients before purchasing products.

Comments

Popular Posts